6.13.2012

Book Nook: The Time Traveler's Wife

Hooray! Another book down!  I have just finished The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (no, seriously, I JUST read the last word, like 3 minutes ago...).  


This was a random, close-your-eyes-and-point book selection from my book shelf, but I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.  I remember that I bought the book after I saw a preview for the movie.  The plan was to read the book and then see the movie... I have yet to see the movie, but am certainly motivated to now!

To summarize...
 
Henry and Clare met when Clare was 6 and Henry was 40-something.  Henry, time traveling from the future, became a regular fixture in Clare's life growing up.  The two developed a deep friendship, despite the sometimes awkward age gaps.  After not seeing each other for 2 years, the pair meets in Henry's "real time" and begin a relationship that Clare has anticipated since she was a teenager.  The novel tells of the struggle of Henry's unpredictable absences (since he cannot control his time traveling) and their love, marriage, and attempts to conceive a child.  

It took me awhile to get into the book.  I found it confusing at first, especially since the plot jumps all over the place - it is about someone who time travels, after all! - and I still I don't think I quite understood some things...  Nonetheless, I enjoyed the book.  For being Niffenegger's first novel, I found it to be well-written and a beautiful story.  Although frustrating and sad at times, I would certainly recommend this to someone who has the patience to understand and time to read the 536-page novel.