3.19.2012

Apartment Sweet Apartment

Congratulations to the Penn State wrestling team on their 2nd straight NCAA title!


I am so thankful I had the opportunity to travel to St. Louis to watch the team accomplish this awesome goal. Despite a very long car ride, we got there safely and I enjoyed watching some really great wrestling and seeing the sights in St. Louis. In between sessions on Saturday, Matt and I had hoped to visit the St. Louis temple, but it was closed for maintenance. What a bummer! Instead, we braved the city's St. Patrick's Day parade crowd and headed downtown to see the Gateway Arch in some less-than-perfect weather:



Before I knew it, it was time to pack up and leave St. Louis and to endure another patience-testing car ride home. Matt sacrificed his sanity and rode home with David, Katie, and I.



To add to the eventfulness of the weekend: I had received a phone call from my neighbor, Katie, after the finals on Saturday, but accidentally deleted the voicemail before I had a chance to listen to it. On our way home, I called her back and found out that there had been an incident with my car - some drunken frat boy decided my driver's side door would be a nice place to "relieve" himself on his long stumble back to frat row. Katie confronted him which caused him to stop, but I guess it was still enough to defile Rolla. Katie said she tried to wash all the urine off with water (that's why she's an awesome neighbor/friend!), but I still have to take Rolla to the car wash soon to remove the smudges and fingerprints. Gross.

On a less disgusting note, this weekend made me realize how grateful I am for Matt and our relationship. I understand that most couples are not going to be able to enjoy each other's company 24/7 - there are going to be instances when you get a little cranky and annoyed with the other person and need your own space, but that is no excuse to be outwardly and constantly miserable, thus bleeding that unhappiness onto others and the situation you're in. With that being said, I'm so thankful that I haven't experienced anything close to that with Matt and certainly don't plan on it either! Why be in a relationship with someone if you're continually unhappy and struggling with resentment, jealousy, and insecurity!? Not only are those feelings detrimental to your own relationship, but it will be harmful to the relationships you have with the others that surround you. Little hiccups and misunderstandings are expected, but can easily be discussed and worked through. Although they are sometimes not executed in the best way, I think these types of disagreements are sometimes necessary to fully understand and appreciate the other person's point of view. I am so grateful for Matt and his maturity, patience, respectfulness, and understanding, especially when these little hiccups occur, but even when they aren't an issue. God has blessed me with a truly incredible man!

No comments: