7.09.2012

Book Nook: Mockingjay

I have finished the Hunger Games trilogy!  It has taken me a few days since finishing it (almost a week, actually) to write this post, but I blame that on the fact that I am still trying to recover from my "book hangover."  I've coined the term "book hangover" as the feeling of not wanting to start another book after finishing a really good one.  Plus, I've just been busy...


 Mockingjay was took a bit of time to get used to.  Since the last book (Catching Fire) ended with Katniss waking up to Gale telling her District 12 was no more, I was biting at the bit to read the next book.  But the first two books followed a relatively similar pattern: the Hunger Games is announced, there is a reaping, Katniss and Peeta get ready for the games, and then the Games begin.  However, now that the Games are over and District 13 is planning a rebellion, the story becomes more high risk.  It also didn't help that Peeta was captured by the Capitol and was being tortured for information about the Districts' rebellion on top of everything else...

Overall, I enjoyed the book... not as much as the first one though.  I got a little confused towards the end with the information about the Capitol's protective "pods."  I had trouble picturing where the rebels were within the Capitol at times, but other than that the ending was really action packed and kept me reading.  I didn't like how Finnick died in the sewer (in my opinion, he should have lived!) and I also didn't like how Gale moved to District 2 and then there was no further mention of him.  Ever.  But I was glad to see Katniss and Peeta end up together, despite having a less than ideal reunion in the middle of the book.

I'm not exactly sure what I'll be reading next.  Like I said before, I'm suffering from a massive book hangover, so it is going to take some time for me to find another book or series that I can get into.