5.24.2012

A Ridiculously Long List

I found a list of questions here that I thought would be fun for me to fill out when I had some free time.  I enjoy completing surveys or questionnaires, but this one was longer and more in depth than I'm used to.

1. List 20 random facts about yourself.
I love animals.  At one point I had:
a dog, 2 cats, a parakeet, a turtle, 2 geckos, 6 gerbils, and a pac-man frog
(if you don't know what a pac-man frog is, click HERE).

I have to wear ear plugs to sleep.
The room has to be completely dark and silent.

You should be too.

I like routine.
I'm pretty simple and don't like change.

I have a strange love for creepy, Halloween-y type things.
Skulls, cobwebs, black, pumpkins, thunderstorms - love 'em all!

I CANNOT WAIT TO MARRY MATTHEW WILLIAM BROWN!

I HATE cold weather.
As far as I'm concerned, snow should only exist in December
(and preferably only at Christmas time).

My favorite word is "oolong."
Its just so fun to say!

My least favorite word is poo... I can't even type it completely... p.

I love weird baby names (sorry, babe!).
 At one point in time, I wanted to name my daughter Kruger...
and, no, NOT after Freddy (see question #2).

I like doing things myself. 
Its the control freak in me.

I love family vacations to Virginia.
Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country...
its impossible for me to be unhappy there!

I have a insatiable sweet tooth.

Every time I re-watch the Will and Grace TV series, I realize how similar Grace and I are.
except for the fact that she's Jewish and has a gay best friend...

The Harry Potter series is THE. BEST. book series there is.
I still hold out hope that the owl carrying my Hogwarts letter got lost and is still trying to find me...

I am a very picky eater and eat a total of maybe 10 things a week in rotation.

If anything would EVER happen to my teeth, I would be inconsolable.
It would be a loooooong road back to sanity for this girl!

I love quiet.
LOVE it.

I know every word to Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls and the Notebook.

I often have a craving for a soda, but won't drink any other kind than Diet Sierra Mist.
Aaaaaaand, it makes me burp...
which can be very scary for those who have never heard me burp before.


2. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.
Needles
Never liked them. Period.
If anyone enjoys having their skin punctured, you've got issues...

Blood 
When I was little (probably 4th grade?), I was staying at a friend's house and her family was watching one of the Freddy Kruger movies - the one where he stabs a girl in the back in a hospital room, drags her up a wall, and then drops her.  Yea, I've been scarred since then.

I have no idea where this came from... but a legit fear of mine.
I shudder just thinking about lotus seed pods.

Forgetting
I love my life.  I would hate to forget a single thing.

My loved ones being harmed or put in danger
an obvious one.
(and, yes, I realize this makes 5 fears instead of 3)

3. Describe your relationship with your parents.
As I've gotten older, my relationship with my parents continues to grow and strengthen.  I think this is due to me realizing that they know what they're doing.  I've always considered myself blessed to have the earthly parents that I have.  I've seen too many people not have the love or support of their parent(s) like I have from mine.  For example, when I became a member of the church, they loved and supported me wholeheartedly (and have even received their own copies of the BOM to learn more!).  I also don't see my parents simply as my parents, but as my friends as well.  As I've gotten older, I've relied on them for help and advice that I couldn't imagine receiving from anyone else.  They're honest and trustworthy, and have never failed to always set a wonderful example for me and my brother.  I hope to be the type of person they are to my kids someday.


4. List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could.
BREATHE. EVERY. SINGLE. THING. WILL. WORK. OUT.
Enjoy where you are now.
Stop over-plucking your eyebrows.
Listen to your parents.  They know what they're talking about.
SAVE. MONEY.
Lauren, seriously, STOP with the eyebrows...
Work harder in school and at athletics.
Continue standing up for others and continue to be nice.
PUT. THOSE TWEEZERS. DOWN.
Love your family and spend as much time as you can with them.


5. What are the 5 things that make you most happy right now?
Matt
Our wedding
My faith
My family
Looking forward to this eventful summer


6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?
I'd rather not go into too much detail and introduce any negativity here, but there was a lengthy period in my college life when I had given up having faith in God and His plan for me.  I realize now how great of an error that was on my end, but how forgiving and loving Heavenly Father truly is.  As a result, I have such a strong testimony of His love and plan for each of us.  I encourage everyone that is going through a difficult time to have faith and endure the difficulties.  The result is greater than any of us can imagine.


7. What is your dream job, and why?
I would love to be a stay at home wife and mom.
Many ignorant people scoff at that as a "career choice," but I can only imagine how rewarding it is.

8. What are 5 passions you have?
The Gospel of Jesus Christ
I'm in the process of learning and understanding it right now, but I hope to one day teach it.

Saving memories
I'm always the person on vacations or trips with the camera attached to her hand.
I've been known to take pictures of rocks, leaves, mulch, and water... 
for no reason other than to remember it.

Wrestling
Obviously I have never wrestled, but I am so drawn to the sport.
The principles found in wrestling are simple and can translate to every day life.

Spending time with loved ones

 Animals


9. List 10 people who have influenced you.
 In no particular order...

Mom

Dad

Matt 

Ryan

Gram Magargle

Gram Hemrick

Pap Hemrick

Pap Magargle

Sue Paterno

Jesus Christ

10. Describe your most embarrassing moment.
I feel as if I don't get embarrassed that easily.  I almost enjoy the occasional awkward situation - it makes things interesting and can really lead to some great stories.  However, when I began my brief career at the vet clinic here in State College, I made a HUGE "oops!".  One of my coworkers at the clinic introduced herself and I noticed she was wearing maternity scrubs and had the tell-tale baby bump.  I didn't say anything to her, but noted the fact that she was pregnant and moved on.  Later, during lunch with my boss at Olive Garden, I mentioned in passing about my coworker being pregnant (since pregnant women should be careful around cat feces - toxoplasmosis risk and whatnot...).  My boss gave me a strange look and said, "She isn't pregnant."  I thought she was kidding since the "bump" was soooooo obvious... but the stoic look on her face told me she wasn't pulling my leg.  It turns out that the woman, who is very petite, had a two year-old and never lost the baby weight.  Oddly enough, all of her baby weight remained in her abdomen.  Thankfully, I had never said anything to the woman or any of the other people who worked there.  I couldn't enjoy the rest of lunch due to my error, but I did enjoy the taste of my foot.


11. Describe 10 pet peeves you have.
Barking dogs
Crying babies
Slow drivers or walkers
People who can't hear what I said after repeating myself 2+ times
Liberals
Animal abusers
Loud chewers
Loud people
Noise
People
(not really... but, seriously...)



12. Describe a typical day in your current life.
I'll admit, right now its pretty low-key.
I am able to sleep in and do what I need to do until 3pm when I have to pick up the kids and baby-sit.
After I'm done with the kiddos, I go home and work on my online class or wedding stuff.
That's pretty much it...


13. Describe 5 weaknesses you have.
Sticking to a "budget"
I'm a control freak and I don't ask for help.
I get frustrated/angry very easily.
I'm not patient in the slightest.
I try to please others before I please myself.


14. Describe 5 strengths you have.
I'm loyal.
I am protective of the people and things I love.
I know how to present myself in a respectable and competant manner.
I have a great support system.
I'm compassionate.


15. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
Hmm... well, Matt seems to think I'd be a lynx and I don't think I would disagree! 


16. What are your 5 greatest accomplishments?
Attending Penn State University
Scoring a hottie like Matt! ;)
Not compromising my beliefs or dreams for others
... getting through this darn list...

17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at?
I consider myself to be very blessed, but I do wish that I could be a better person all-around.
Obviously, no one is perfect and I am my biggest critic, but I know I can always improve.  

18. What has been the most difficult thing you have had to forgive?
Ehh, not really "what," but more accurately "who."
I've had a difficult time forgiving myself, but have a strong testimony of the atonement as a result.


19. If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
Virginia Beach.  I LOVE the beach and could never get sick of it.
Living in a house on the beach would be so relaxing and perfect!


20. Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.
Christmas time always stands out to me:
picking out the tree (a Concolor fir), decorating it in our Hallmark ornaments, Christmas Eve candlelight church service, waking up to the smell of cinnamon buns on Christmas day, opening stockings before presents, etc.

I always remember spending time at my both of my grandparents' houses.  Whether it was at my dad's parents with my cousins, or regular Sunday dinners with my mom's parents, I've always enjoyed the time I've spent with my family.

The creek (by the way, that is properly pronounced as "crick").
There was a creek down from my old house, and I loved to go on "adventures" with my brother and our neighbors to it.  I'm sure I'm just thinking of the creek to signify my old house and the memories there.  A large majority of my childhood memories are at that house.


21. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it first?
I would love to talk to animals.
I would use it to understand them, and it would certainly be useful in helping them.
Imagine the amount of animal abuse and suffering that could be stopped!!


22. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?
Hey, slow down!  I'm just trying to get through today!


23. List your top 5 hobbies and why you love them.
Scrapbooking
It ties back in with having to save every single memory and not wanting to forget things.

Shopping
I'll be the first to admit that I have a bad habit of over-spending or impulse shopping.
As dangerous as it often it, it is satisfying for me to buy new things.

Reading
It is an utterly relaxing hobby because it provides an escape.

 Eating
C'mon... let's be serious. Who doesn't enjoy eating?!

Does going to wrestling matches, tournaments, etc. counts as a hobby?


24. Describe your family dynamic of your childhood vs. your family dynamic now.
I don't think all that much as changed.  Sure, there is always that ignorant bliss of being a child when you're protected from worry and fear and responsibilities, but that doesn't or shouldn't change a family dynamic.  

25. If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be and what would you eat?
Joe Paterno.
Hopefully we would eat some of SuePa's home cooking!


26. What popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?
Well, this is a deep question that I don't have the qualification to answer adequately...
I just think a lot of people's priorities aren't in the right place - I know mine aren't at times!
If people could understand how unimportant money, status, or power is in relation to how important family and God are, then I think a lot of problems could be solved or on their way to being solved.


27. What is your favorite part of your body and why?
My teeth because they're big and white and pretty.
That was such a 4th grade answer...


28. What is your love language?
According to the book, The 5 Love Languages, mine is "quality time," which is reallllllly difficult to do when your fiance is across the country and will be gone from you for another month :(


29. What do you think people misunderstand most about you?
I think everyone misunderstands another person's intentions.  We become so distrustful as we grow older.  For instance, I've had people question my intentions of joining the church!  They are free to offer whatever opinions or advice they want, but only when they ask me and trust my answers will they know and understand my intentions.


30. List 10 things you would hope to be remembered for.
My love
My faith
My family
My example
My resolution
My loyalty
My humor
My compassion
My kindness
My morality