1.04.2014

A New Year, A New Resolution...

Did you know only 8% of people are successful in keeping their New Year's resolutions?

I have always been fairly flippant when it comes to making New Year resolutions. It wasn't until December 31st at 11:59pm that I realized all that I had been saying I would do before the end of 2013... never quite got done.  It is with that sad realization I can admit that I am part of the 92% of the population who make and can't or don't keep their resolutions.

Like many people who view the new year as a chance to "wipe the slate clean" and begin anew, I too have decided to join in on the cliche festivities and set a few over-motivated resolutions to better myself and my way of living.  Who knows, maybe next year I will proudly say I have defied the odds and become part of the 8%!  I have a handful of resolutions this year, some of which are below: 
  • Save more, spend less money
  • Work hard...ish
  • Exercise... or at least start parking farther away from the mall entrance
  • Don't get pregnant. Seriously, Lauren, just DON'T.
  • Reach out to family and friends more frequently
  • ...get more friends...
  • Eat more fruits and veggies (fruit-flavored candies and butter-smothered veggies don't count!)
  • Read some good books
  • Keep up-to-date on my blog

While each one is seemingly noble and/or necessary in some way, the last resolution is easy and painless... unlike exercising and saving money will be.  Truth be told, I've always liked the idea of blogging, but when it comes down to doing it, I rarely finish a post.  I all too often sit down to write and half-way through think "no one cares, Lauren" and close the window.  Maybe it is because I feel no one outside of my family would care to read my blog, or maybe because I realize I'm not as exciting or interesting as I initially thought.

Just when I thought my blog was going down the same tragic path as my MySpace page and AIM account, my grade-school (does anyone say "grade-school" anymore?!) friend, Alexa, posted to Facebook that she has begun to satisfy her need to "do something and create" by blogging.  How inspiring!  It was nice to hear that I can possibly satisfy those very natural needs all while laying in bed in my pajamas with my cat!  Since I've never been stellar at "creating" delicious recipes and am certainly not motivated very often to get off my butt and "do something" that involves physical activity, I've decided to attempt to blog as often as I can, no matter how insignificant or pointless the posts may be.

Why?!

Because it is truly fun!  I like to talk about myself and what is going on in my life.  I like to entertain and educate.  I like to brag and boast.  I like to complain and carp.  I like to ponder and pick apart.  I like to woo and wow.
Okay, that's enough alliterations...
Simply put: I enjoy the convenience of talking about myself and sharing my thoughts to others while we both sit in the comfort of our own homes without any make-up on.

If you are not a member of my family and are simply reading this to pass the time or to get to know me better, bless your heart... and thank you!  Here is just a snippet of what you can expect to read/learn about in my posts:

  • Matt and Marnie, my adorable little family
  • The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Books I am reading/book reviews
  • Clothes/shopping (I love style blogs)
  • My career as a drug rep
  • Product reviews
  • Things I've discovered on/tried from Pinterest 
  • Vacations, excursions, adventures
  • Everyday grumblings and other odds and ends...

 Thanks for enduring this resolution with me!

Happy 2014, everybody!
May the resolution odds be ever in your favor!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A big motivating factor for this particular resolution was/is my brother-in-law David (hi, David!).  Practically every time I see him, he mentions my lack of posting in a friendly, yet suggestive way.  I understand the importance for David and the rest of Matt's family (who currently live in Utah, Nebraska, and Colorado) to keep up-to-date with what is going on out here in Pennsylvania.  Thank you, David, for politely getting on my case about my blog...

And thank you, Alexa, for giving me the eye-opening motivation I needed to understand the importance of the need/reason to blog and create!
P.S. Sorry to hear about your tailbone...

4 comments:

Contact: Ashley Mills said...

Love it! Can't wait to hear about what you guys are up to!

Jen said...

David IS a great blog motivator for sure. I love your realistic goals. I'm the same way. I never want to say I'll meet some idealistic requirement when I know it won't happen. I am a total realist.

Thanks for keeping it honest, and good luck moving forward with your accomplishments.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that my little project inspired you to get back to blogging! It's unbelievably encouraging to know that my words have already created some more positive creation in the world. I look forward to reading your posts and keeping up with your life! Maybe can motivate each other to keep this up!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out!